Madison County Advertising
Martin & Locke
This photographic studio is no doubt one of the oldest in the county, having it is believed been in operation fully half a century. The present proprietors, Martin & Locke, consisting of Miss Margery Martin and Mrs. Catherine Locke, who became partners in 1904.
Mrs. Locke, with her sister, purchased the gallery in 1891 of O. C. Hale and they conducted the business until 1898, when her sister removed to New York, and there conducts a popular studio. Miss Martin joined Mrs. Locke, first as a student in 1899, and in two years satisfied her that her artistic ability and love for the work entitled her to a partnership interest. These two ladies have been very successful in portrait, landscape and other work. Students of art by nature, and enthusiastic in their work, they have won a large patronage.
Their pictures show careful study as to poses, and great skill in finish, and they enjoy an enviable reputation in their work.
From Madison Democrat 50th Anniversary
Published by the Madison Democrat, 1908