Madison County History and Genealogy

History and Genealogy



History of Madison County


London


From Historical collections of Ohio
Henry Howe [Columbus: H. Howe & Son, 1889-1891]

London in 1846.–London, the county-seat, is twenty-five miles westerly from Columbus. it was laid off in 1810 or '11, as seat of justice, by Patrick McLene, by order of the commissioners; and by the autumn of 1812 had six or eight families. The view shows on the left the court house, and in the distance the academy. London contains 1 Presbyterian and 1 Methodist church, a classical academy, 1 newspaper printing office, 8 stores, and by the census of 1840 its population was 297.–Old Edition.

London 1846

London


From ATLAS OF MADISON COUNTY
J.A. Caldwell [Condit, Ohio, 1875]

LONDON (The Seat of Justice),

is twenty-five miles westerly of Columbus. It was laid out in 1810 or '11 by Patrick McLean, by order of the Commissioners; and, by the autumn of 1812, had six or eight families. The first court held in Madison County was held in a cabin, Judge Thompson, of Chilicoth [sic], presiding. The Grand Jury retired to deliberate to an oak and hazel thicket that stood near. The principal business, for the first year or two, was criminal business. The population, by the census of 1840, was 297; then it had two churches, a classical academy, one newspaper printing office, and eight stores.

Now the population is about 3,000. London contains six churches — one Presbyterian, one Methodist Episcopal, one Universalist, one Catholic, one Baptist (colored), one Methodist (colored); and there is published three weekly papers: Times, Democrat and Enterprise, and all well patronised; also, two first-class hotels, and several excellent boarding houses, and one of the finest high schools in the State, and they have a number of extensive manufactories at this point. One foundry and machine shop, where they manufacture farming implements of various kinds; also, one large steam flouring mill, sash and blind factory, and three of the largest livery stables in the State, which are extensively patronized by the farming community and others, on sale day, London being the great centre for cattle sales each month, for Ohio and the adjoining States. London has some of the finest stores of any town of its size in the State, as follows: Gentleman's Furnishing Goods, General Hardware Stores, and a complete list of which you will find in the Business Directory of the town, representing every branch of business, and at this point is situated one of the finest trotting parks in the State, (owned by Maj. Neal). At this point is distributed the largest mail of any place in the State, with the same population, which speaks well as an intellectual and reading people. London, with its Broad street and avenues, being approached on every side by free pikes, leading to and from every part of the county, which makes it one of the most desirable towns in the State; and it has a very extensive banking capital, and the bar furnishes some of the best legal talent in the State, and the medical department has no superior in the State, and the future of this city looks very prosperous.

London is located on the L.M. & X.C.R.R., and Springfield and Columbus short line cross at that point. The extent of corporation is 1½ miles square, and lots are laid out, as will be observed in the city map.