Fairfield Township History
From History of Madison County, W. H. Beers & Co, Chicago, 1883
There is not now, and, we believe, never has been, a grist or flour mill within the boundaries of Fairfield Township, and but few saw mills. One of the first saw-mills we gain a record of was built by Daniel Thompson, on Opossum Run, located near the Thomas Chapel. This was first a stationary mill and run by water-power. Subsequently, it was run by steam power, and finally was converted into a portable mill, and moved from place to place as occasion required. It is now located on Judge E. O. Fitzgerald's farm. There is also another portable mill on the same farm, owned by Dickinson & Bowers. The other mills are located at the villages of California and Lilly Chapel, and are fully mentioned in the history of those towns.
Back to Fairfield Township index