History of Madison County
Monroe Township Business Interests
From History of Madison County, W. H. Beers & Co, Chicago, 1883
As there is no town or village within this township, we will mention the fact that there is one store, and only one. This is located at the fork of the road near Finley Schoolhouse. The first store opened there was by a Mr. Thompson, about 1877; thence it came into the ownership of D.R. Lombard & Son, who were succeeded by Thomas Hunt, the present proprietor. In the spring of 1882, Elmer Stephens and Elias Lombard erected a tile factory on land a little north of the above-mentioned store, and appear to be doing quite a good business, considering the short time during which they have been engaged in business. Also, on the London & Liverpool road is a tile factory, erected by Guy, Williams & Co., in spring of 1882. These were much needed in this township, and will doubtless greatly benefit the farmers.
Back to Monroe Township index