Madison County History and Genealogy

History and Genealogy


From History of Madison County, Ohio, Chester E. Bryan, Supervising Editor, B.F. Bowen & Co., Indianapolis (1915)

Plumwood was platted on December 23, 1895, by Charles F. Sanford. It first bore the name of Sanford in honor of the owner, but this was later changed to Plumwood. The business carried on by this town exceeds any in the northwestern part of the county. It has an estimated population of two hundred people. There are three general stores, owned, respectively, by S. A. Hillman, Dan Peterman and C. W. Peters, and all do a very nice business. Elsworth Grewell is the village blacksmith. Plumwood is a great center for threshing outfits, and the following have their headquarters there: James Stockwell, three steam outfits; Ed Stockwell, one, and Fred Glass, two steam outfits and a gasoline tractor. There are also three hay balers working out of Plumwood. Carl Reed operates a gasoline baler and James Dooley and Frank Reed each has a horse-power outfit.

Back to Monroe Township index


Ohio History & Genealogy

Other Counties