Oak Run Township Early Settlers
From History of Madison County, Ohio, Chester E. Bryan, Supervising Editor, B.F. Bowen & Co., Indianapolis (1915)
William Jamison seems to have been the first settler in Oak Run township, at least he is the first of whom any record can be obtained, as settling within the present limits of this township. He came to this county from Kentucky and settled south of the mouth of Glade run, about 1805. He purchased two hundred acres of land, on which he resided until his death. Mr. Jamison became quite a prominent and prosperous farmer of that day. He was married to Ann Brown, of Brown county, Ohio, by whom he had three sons and three daughters, namely: Ira, who became a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church, and died in Hancock county, Ohio; the second son died while young; William, the youngest son, emigrated west after reaching his majority and resided at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa. The three daughters were: Zelah, who married Mr. Ferguson; Cynthia, who married Levi Poulston, and the third daughter, whose name it has been impossible to obtain, married a Mr. Foster.
John Simpkins, a native of Maryland, came to this county about the same time as the Gwynnes, as early as 1808. He purchased land in Oak Run township, on Walnut and Oak runs, and settled here. He improved his land and became quite an active man in the secular affairs of the township and county; served as treasurer of the county in 1816; collector in 1817; held the oflice of associate judge and later was elected justice of the peace, which latter office he held for several years. He finally moved to Missouri, remaining there but a short time, when he returned to this township and entered upon the mercantile business, which he followed through the greater part of the remaining years of his life. He had two brothers, James and Thomas; the latter was stabbed and killed on the streets of London; the former subsequently returned to his native state, Maryland.
Elias and Van De Lashmut, two brothers, natives of Maryland, came to Madison county, it is thought, as early as 1810. They purchased land on Deer creek, on the boundary line between Fairileld and Oak Run townships. At the same time there came to this township John De Lashmut, a cousin of the above; also two brothers, Otho and Nelson De Lashmut, the latter a brick-maker by trade. Elias was the principal active man among them; was sheriff of Franklin county in 1807-09, and it seems owned the greater part of the land purchased by the brothers. After a few years he entered upon the mercantile business, and was one of the early merchants of London, where he carried on his business for a number of years. John De Lashmut subsequently moved west, and settled on the Red river.
John Jones came from Franklin county and settled on Oak run, one mile above its mouth, about the year 1808; he resided here some eight or ten years, opened up the farm and made considerable improvements, and then moved west. Thomas Nash, a native of Kentucky, settled near the mouth of Oak run about 1812; after residing there for a few years he removed to Indiana. William Sly settled on Turkey run, on surveys No. 10,904 and 12,364, at an early day, and was becoming somewhat prominent as an active, energetic man, when he moved to Sandusky and died a short time later. John Lindsay, a Virginian, settled on Oak run, one mile above its mouth. on the land first settled and improved by John Jones, about 1818. He resided here about six or eight years; was quite active and energetic, gained some wealth and moved to Sandusky, where he purchased some land and later died. leaving a large estate.
Montgomery Wilson was one of the early settlers of the township; but little is known of his ancestors or his early life, except that he was a blacksmith by trade and located temporarily where his business or inclination led him.
Joseph Rea was born in Pennsylvania in 1754; on January 16, 1783, he married Elizabeth Conn, who was born January 27, 1762. They first emigrated to Virginia; thence, in 1810, to Ross county, Ohio; and thence to Madison county, about 1818, and settled on Oak run, where they died about 1829. They raised a family of nine children, all reaching the age of maturity. Their son, Matthew, who was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, in 1793, became a resident of London in 1818. He married Ann Amos, who was born in Maryland, November 15. 1802, the marriage being performed in London by Patrick McLene, Esq. In 1835 they settled in Oak Run township, where he became a successful farmer and stock raiser and accumulated a goodly portion of the worldly goods. Matthew died in 1873 and his wife died in 1857.
James Foster came from Ross county and settled on the north side of Bradley's fork, about 1820; a few years later his brother, John, came to this township and settled near him. They married sisters by the name of Bougher. They both became prosperous farmers and large landowners; active in business interests _and filled many offlces of trust in the county and township, James serving as county commissioner for a number of years.
Jonathan Farrar was a native of England, but became a settler in Oak Run township about the_year 1825. Mr. Farrar was an excellent man and a great admirer and fancier of thoroughbred stock. He, with Charles Phellis, Esq,, and Mr. Browning, were appointed a committee by the Stock Breeders' Association of Madison county to go to England and purchase a quantity of fine blooded stock. John C. Robinson, an Englishman by birth, possessed of a good education and a teacher in his younger days, came from Pennsylvania to Madison county and, about 1831-32, located in Oak Run township. He erected a saw-mill on Oak run, since known as the Harvey mill and Gregg mill. He sold the mill to Jonathan Harvey, and thence removed to Kentucky, where he entered upon the teaching profession, and while engaged in this profession was stabbed and killed by one of his scholars.
Back to Oak Run Township index