From History of Madison County, W. H. Beers & Co, Chicago, 1883
The first school, it is believed, in Paint Township, was held in a cabin on Jonathan Minshall's land. Samuel Harvey being the first, or one of the first, teachers the school, like all schools, being supported by subscription. The teacher received about $15 per month for hie labors. The first schoolhouse was of the pioneer, primitive kind—round logs, puncheon floor, slab seats and greased paper windows. The first public schoolhouse was erected on the ground now embraced in the cemetery. This was a hewed-log house, and was then considered quite neat and comfortable. This house was succeeded by a frame one, erected on the same ground about
1847. This house was used for school purposes till about 1872, when the present brick was erected, at a cost of about $1,500. This is now known as District No. 2. The township now has nine subdistricts, and all have good brick houses, costing from $1,500, to $2,000, except in Subdistrict No. 8, which is a good frame house. The schoolhouses and the schools are perhaps in this township equal to if they do not exceed those of other townships of Madison County.
From History of Madison County, Ohio, Chester E. Bryan, Supervising Editor, B.F. Bowen & Co., Indianapolis (1915)
The first schools in Paint, township is thought to have been held in a cabin, on Jonathan Minshall's land, Samuel Harvey being the first teacher, or one of the first. This school, like all other pioneer schools, was supported by subscription, the teacher receiving about fifteen dollars a month for his services. The first school, house was of the pioneer type—round logs, puncheon floor, slab seats and greased-paper windows. The first public school house was erected on the ground now embraced in the cemetery. This was a hewed-log house, and was then considered quite neat and, comfortable. This house was succeeded by a frame one, erected on the same ground, about 1847. It was used for school purposes until about 1872, when it gave way to a brick building, erected at the cost of about fifteen hundred dollars.
Back to Paint Township index