History of Madison County
Range Township Schools
From History of Madison County, W. H. Beers & Co, Chicago, 1883
One of the early schools of this township was in the David Dye Schoolhouse, on land now owned by Mr. Ford. This was a hewed-log house. Frank Flood was the first teacher. The next schoolhouse which succeeded this, was the two-story frame house in Midway, now owned by John Jeffers, which was used for school purposes till the present large frame was erected, with two rooms, and a hall between – one room as a primary department and the other for a grammar school.
From the small cabin schoolhouses which were first built by the early settlers in the various neighborhoods of Range Township, they are now established into eleven subdistricts, with as many good, comfortable frame or brick schoolhouses, and all the houses are kept insured.
The people of this township are now giving especial attention to the erection of brick schoolhouses. Although at this time they have but three out of the eleven built of brick, yet we are informed by the School Board has decreed to build one brick house every year until every district is supplied with a good brick house. The board of education for 1882 are as follows: Subdistrict No. 1, J. S. Pancake; No. 2, J. W. Kellough; No. 3, Benjamin Emory; No. 4, J. R. Henry; No. 5, W. H. Bowers; No. 6, Wilson Johnson; No. 7, M. L. Yates; No. 8, I. T. Green; No. 9, Clinton Junk; No. 10, L. W. Blizzard; No. 11, G. L. Alkire; with M. L. Yates as President of the Board.
Enumeration in 1881: Subdistrict No. 1 — Males, twenty-four; females, twenty; total, forty-four. No. 2 —Males, twenty-eight; females, fifteen; total, forty-three. No. 3 — Males, thirty-one; females, thirty-seven; total, sixty-eight. No. 4 — Males, twenty-four; females, eighteen; total, forty-two. No. 5 — Males, seventeen; females, twelve; total, twenty-nine. No. 6 — Males, seventeen; females, eighteen; total, thirtypfive. No. 7 — Males, thirty-seven; females, forty-two; total, seventy-nine. No. 8 — Males, fifteen; females, ten; total, twenty-five. No. 9 — Males, eleven; females, three; total, fourteen. No. 10 — Males, twenty-two; females, twenty; total, forty-two. No. 11 — Males, ten; females, eleven; total, twenty-one. Total, 442; Independent District, Midway, 120; total enumeration of township, 562. Teachers' wages, average – male, $35; female, $32. School funds for 1881, $5,015.41; paid for tuition, $2,921.46; incidentals, $2,444.15; Independent District Midway, total school funds, $960.82; paid for tuition, $726.97; incidentals, $90.28.
From History of Madison County, Ohio, Chester E. Bryan, Supervising Editor, B.F. Bowen & Co., Indianapolis (1915)
One of the early schools of this township was in the David Dye school house, on land later owned by a Mr. Ford. This was a hewed-log house. Frank Flood was the first teacher. The next school house, which succeeded this, was the two-story frame house in Sedalia.
Back to Range Township index